Root Canal & Endodontics
Root Canal & Endodontics
Root Canal & Endodontics in Farmington, CT
When Are Root Canals Needed?
Root canals are needed when the nerve or pulp of a tooth becomes inflamed or infected. They can happen due to deep decay, a cracked tooth, trauma, or repeated dental procedures. Common symptoms that may indicate the need for a root canal include:
- Severe toothache
- Sensitivity to hot or cold, swelling and tenderness in the gums
- Discolouration of the affected tooth
If you experience any of these symptoms, you must see a dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation. Our skilled dental team in Farmington, CT, can assess your oral health and determine if a root canal is the best treatment option for you.
What Type of Dentist Is Able to Perform Root Canals?
What Is the Procedure for Root Canals?
Root canal therapy is a dental procedure to treat a tooth with an infected or inflamed pulp, the tooth’s innermost layer. The procedure involves:
- Removing the infected or damaged pulp.
- Cleaning and shaping the root canals.
- Filling them with a particular material to seal the tooth.
The first step of a root canal procedure is to numb the affected tooth and surrounding area with a local anaesthetic. Then, the dentist will create a small access hole in the tooth to access the pulp chamber and root canals. The dentist will carefully remove the infected or inflamed pulp and shape the root canals using small instruments. Once the canals are cleaned and shaped, the dentist will fill them with a rubber-like gutta-percha and seal the access hole with a filling material. Depending on the extent of the damage, the dentist may also recommend placing a crown on the treated tooth to protect it from further damage. Overall, a root canal procedure can help save a damaged or infected tooth and relieve the pain and discomfort associated with the infection. At Gorgeous Smiles Dental, our experienced team of dentists in Farmington, CT, is dedicated to providing comfortable and effective root canal treatments to our patients.
What Is the Cost for Root Canals?
What Are the Different Types of Root Canals?
Root canals are a standard dental procedure to treat infected or damaged teeth. There are three main types of root canals:
- Conventional Root Canal Treatment: This is the most common type of root canal treatment. During this procedure, the dentist removes the infected or damaged tissue from the tooth’s pulp and cleans and shapes the root canal space before filling it with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha.
- Endodontic Retreatment: This procedure is performed when a previous root canal treatment fails, or new issues arise in the treated tooth. During endodontic retreatment, the dentist removes the filling material from the tooth and cleans and shapes the root canal space before filling it again.
- An apicoectomy is a surgical root canal procedure performed when conventional root canal treatment or endodontic retreatment has failed or is impossible. During an apicoectomy, the dentist removes the tip of the tooth’s root along with any infected or damaged tissue and seals the end of the root with a filling material.
The type of root canal treatment needed depends on the specific condition of the tooth and the patient’s needs. At Gorgeous Smiles Dental in Farmington, our experienced dentist can evaluate your dental needs and recommend the best treatment for you.
Are Root Canals Painful?
Book your appointment today.
15 New Britain Avenue Unionville, CT, 06085
Call our office at 860-673-2455.